Thursday, May 27, 2010

Michelangelo's Men

Apparently a recent reader's comment I made at the Huffington Post was deemed by the moderation to be unfit to appear on their website, so I'll post it here. I was commenting on a post about recent research on Michelangelo which suggests that a portrayal of God in the Sistine Chapel represents His face in the shape of a human brain. The theological implications are significant to some. I commented with something like this:

What is surprising and mysterious to me about Michelangelo is how he made all the wee-wee's so tiny. I'm picturing conversations like this:

MICHELANGELO: But your Holiness, God made men this way! How can it be evil to celebrate His Creation?

LEO X: You're such a pain in the ass, Mikey! Okay, if you're not going to cover them up, at least make them smaller. MUCH smaller.

MICHELANGELO: Alright, you're the boss. What a waste, though!

LEO: By the way, all the women in your art look really strange. They look like men with boobs stuck on them. You've always got all of these male models lounging around nude, why don't you have some women come around now and then, and take off their clothes, so that you --

MICHELANGELO: No! I don't want to! I don't want to!

LEO: Okay, okay, Jeez, it was only a suggestion...

No comments:

Post a Comment