Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I'm Not Planning To Watch The Steve Jobs Movie Really Soon

I won't go out of my way to avoid it. If someone wants to drag me to it I'll go willingly. I'm a big fan of Michael Fassbinder and Kate Winslet and Seth Rogan and Michael Stuhlbarg, and a small-to-medium-sized fan of Danny Boyle and Aaron Sorkin.

But that's not why I'm writing to you right now. I'm writing because I've seen a lot of interviews with Danny Boyle, the director of this grand epic, and Aaron Sorkin, the screenwriter, and with some of the above-named cast members and so forth, and further discussions of the movie by members of the press who've gotten preview screenings, and not just the tools who work on shows like "Entertainment Tonight," but also people whom I would characterize as fairly serious journalists, like, for example, Chris Hayes and Chris Matthews, people whom I would generally trust to be sincere and forthcoming if they happened not to agree with some current bout of hero-worship, and so far I haven't noticed that either an interviewer nor an interviewee has referred to Apple products in less than ecstatic tones. Or disputed the characterization of Jobs as a genius. Or piped up to opine that his genius lay far more in marketing than in IT.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I think Apple sucks. I realize that some Apple devotees won't believe that. They will think that I'm just jealous because I can't afford all of the latest Apple stuff. And I probably wouldn't be able to convince them otherwise if I tried, which I won't. But I'm far from the only non-fan of Apple. There are so many of us that it surprises me that that I haven't heard a single person yet say, while discussing this new movie about Steve Jobs, that they don't use Apple products. Let alone: that they don't use Apple products and don't plan to and here's why. Or: that Apple products are overpriced and perform poorly and are marketed with astonishing success to rubes. Or: "No, it doesn't surprise me that the Steve Jobs portrayed in the movie has some very unpleasant sides. Not in the least."

I could probably find such a reaction to the movie if I went looking for it. Just a moment. ** googling **

No. I couldn't, not within a few minutes. Hmm.

Creepy. Reminds me of the outbreaks of vaccinate-able diseases among the children of Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment