Friday, March 11, 2016

Great Big Fat Guy, Day 133

In a few weeks I'll have a medical checkup and I'll know whether I've been losing weight or gaining or whatever. Feels like I've been being good, but it's often felt like that in the past, and then I weigh myself and see that I'm still between 290 and 300 pounds. It's been a long, long time since I've stepped on a scale and got a reading under 290.

In addition to daily moving around (aka aerobics) and stretching and push-ups and crunches, for a while (I don't know how long), every day after my crunches I've attempted to do an upward dog. Okay, I did an image search so I could show you a picture of what I'm talking about, and apparently, what I've been calling an upward dog is not an upward dog at all. Every day after my crunches, while still lying on my back with my legs bent, I've put my palms flat on the floor and attempted to rise up into this position:


Whatever that position is actually called [PS, 11 July 2022: It's called a bridge.], I used to be able to do that. It used to be no big deal for me to do that. One time I saw how many reps I could do: flat on my back to fully extended and back was one rep. Sort of like a push-up, but face-up. I did a set of 12 reps. Whatever you call it, it's also been years since I've done one of those. So now, for a while, every day at the end of my crunches, I've attempted to do that. Typically I get off of the ground and hold myself off of the floor for a while with no problem, but I can't get anywhere near fully extended, as in the photo. I hope someday I'll be doing those again. Maybe even try to break my personal best of 12 reps. I don't know whether my current inability to do even one full arch (I guess they're called back arches or something like that) is due to weak arms or an inflexible back or both or something else altogether. I know that it's aggravating not to be able to do it. Feels like I'm not really me at the moment.

Sing us out, Katy:



No comments:

Post a Comment